North Petherton Acetylene gas plant.The first town in England to be lit by acetylene gas.
The North Petherton Gas and Carbide Company produced acetylene gas between 1906 and 1931 for street and domestic lighting, the gas was produced from October to March.
The street lighting was provided from dusk until 10 pm and the spent carbide was made use of by the farmers for fertilizer.
The first building in the village to be illuminated was the village church.
The gas works closed in 1931 when town gas was available from Bridgwater.